Vis-Island.info

Vis-Island.info

Vis – Links:



Welcome to the island VIS

island-vis.com - News & events

info-vis.net your online guide to the private accommodation on the island of vis

Komiza: Land Of My Forefathers

Otok VIS

Student Accommodation
The web's most comprehensive directory of student accommodation sites and other related links


TOWN VIS
The ruins of the fortified town  are located on the southern slope of Gradina the necropolises Martvilo and Vlaska Njiva are on the western and eastern sides. The remains of a Roman theatre have been excavated on the Pirova peninsula. The square used to be by the sea to the east, and monumental thermae used to stand on the western end. Issa was the first ancient town on the Croatian coast constructed following a regular urban pattern. There are many valuable finds: the inscription by the hero Calius from the 4th century BC (the oldest verse found in Croatia), a bronze head of Aphrodite or Artemis from the Praxitelean circle, collections of vases.The present settlement developed when two -smaller villages, Luka and Kut, merged. The most representative buildings of the 16th and the 17th centuries are the Gariboldi Palace, with an inscription dating from 1552, the summer villa of the Croatian poet Marin Gazarovic from the first half of the 17th century, the houses Jaksa and Vukasinovic-Dojmi. The parish church of Our Lady of Spilica was erected around 1500; it keeps a painting representing Our Lady with Saints, a work by Girolamo da Santacroce. Kut has the church of St. Cyprian from the 16th century, reconstructed in 1742 in Baroque style. The church has a wooden Baroque pulpit with rich ornamentation and the coffered ceiling decorated with paintings. The church of the Holy Spirit from the 17th century lies in Luka. After the French defeat in 1811, Vis was occupied by the English who fortified it with several citadels (today only ruins).


TOWN KOMIZA
The settlement was first mentioned in the 12th century. The citadel in the port was built in 1585. - In the 13th century, the Benedictines founded the monastery of St. Nicholas, so-called Muster on an elevation above the settlement. The oldest core of the monastery is a one-nave Romanesque church with a semicircular apse from the 13th century. In the period of the 14th-17th century a large five-nave church was built: its central nave dates back to the beginning of the 16th century and the large Baroque sanctuary to 1652. Two high square towers in Romanesque style have been preserved of the original monastery fortifications; the tower above the church front was converted into a bell tower in 1770. - The church of Our Lady of Gusarica consists of three one-nave churches of the same size, which are connected with arches in the interior. The oldest of them is the middle church (16th c.), while the side churches date back to the 17th and the 18th centuries. The church features Baroque altars, an organ from 1670 and an outstanding silver relief of Our Lady of the Rosary from the 17th century. The fortified church of St. Roch was erected in 1763, and the church of Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows dates back to 1756. - The Art Nouveau building of the Community Centre from the beginning of the 20th century is a work by the architect A. Bezic; the Memorial Centre was designed by S. Planic, the author of the reliefs and mosaics is B. Mardesic. The Gallery of Duro Ti-ljak has been open in Komiza since 1966, and since 1984 also the Gallery of Boris Mardesic.

On the island of Vis you can find accommodation in hotels, apartments, holiday houses, luxury villas, rooms and camp-sites.


Apartment Modrić
stone house in Sucuraj (Hvar Island)

 

 

Island Vis (home)     Otok Vis (na hrvatskom)    Vis-links 2